Looking forward to visiting Pittsburgh this weekend for an engagement shoot! In preparation for my first trip to the land of Steel, I have learned these fun facts about Pittsburgh:
1. Boomerang Sumerang! The Oakland side of Pittsburgh is the REAL Mister Rogers Neighborhood! I was pretty much a Mister Rogers Neighborhood addict as a toddler. We need more Mister Rogers’ in our world. Check this out, Mister Rogers’ humble acceptance of a Lifetime Achievement Award:
2. Pittsburgh is named after William Pitt, and was originally spelled Pittsbourgh by a Scottsman General, John Forbes in 1758.
3. Pittsburghians have their own dialect known as Pittsburghese! The most common word is “Yinz” which is like what the Southerners call Y’all. Some other examples:
4. You know how people always use 🙂 in texts and emails? Yeah, the first person ever to do that was in Pittsburgh and it was documented in 1982 by a computer scientist named Scott Fahlman. It’s documented. Don’t even try to tell me you thought of it first.
5. I know you think of Pittsburgh as maybe a polluted steel-workers town. Surprise! Pittsburgh has the most certified “green” buildings in the US. Take that, Boulder.
6. Pittsburgh is not flat! It has more vertical feet than San Francisco, Cincinnati, Portland and Oregon combined.
7. Pittsburgh has a ton of bridges. over 445!
8. Christina Aguilera, her sister and mom moved to live with her grandparents in Pittsburgh after her parents divorced when she was 6 years old. Her father was abusive and she was bullied in school because kids were jealous of her singing talent.
9. This one could be dangerous. Pittsburgh is the home of famous food! Such as the Klondike Bar, Heinz Ketchup, the Bic Mac (gross), and crazy sandwiches stuffed with fries and stuff. I may have to find one of those!
10. Pittsburgh is considered by Forbes and The Economist as America’s most liveable city!